[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 23 18:24:36 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-23 13:18:22 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> I would like for us to collect some more data about what efforts
> teams are making with encouraging new contributors, and what seems
> to be working or not. In the past we've done pretty well at finding
> new techniques by experimenting within one team and then adapting
> the results to scale them out to other teams.
>
> Does anyone have any examples of things that we ought to be trying
> more of?

A while back (and I'm sorry I seem to be failing at finding the
right keywords to locate any of it) it was pointed out that the
Kolla team has a handbook for how to become a core reviewer for
their deliverables with a process that contributors interested in
getting more involved that way can follow. While perhaps not
necessarily applicable everywhere, and certainly would be extremely
team-specific, it sounded like an intriguing solution. I'd be
curious to follow up and find out whether that model has continued
to work out for them.

Some of us also urged existing leaders in various projects to record
videos encouraging contributors to get more involved by demystifying
processes like code review or bug triage. This could be as simple as
signing up for an available lightning talk slot at one of our
conferences and then performing what you consider to be mundane but
much-needed activities while narrating an explanation of what's
going on in your head. What we've failed to do, as far as I'm aware,
is aggregate links to these somewhere and promote that in ways that
the intended audience will find them.
--
Jeremy Stanley