[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:32:26 UTC 2018

On 4/23/2018 1:24 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Some of us also urged existing leaders in various projects to record
> videos encouraging contributors to get more involved by demystifying
> processes like code review or bug triage. This could be as simple as
> signing up for an available lightning talk slot at one of our
> conferences and then performing what you consider to be mundane but
> much-needed activities while narrating an explanation of what's
> going on in your head. What we've failed to do, as far as I'm aware,
> is aggregate links to these somewhere and promote that in ways that
> the intended audience will find them.

This reminded me of something I linked into the nova contributor docs
based on a presentation that stephenfin and bauzas gave in Sydney about
bug triage:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/contributor/how-to-get-involved.html#how-to-do-great-bug-triage

Over time I've tried to link more and more relevant summit videos into
the nova docs for things like Placement, Cells v2, and really anything
that is specific to a domain of nova for new contributors.

We spend so much time working on these presentations that it's a shame
when we don't actually link them back into our docs for people to find
later when they are trying to learn.

Matt