[openstack-dev] [osc][swift] Setting storage policy for a container possible via the client?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:54:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Mark Kirkwood's message of 2018-04-19 16:47:58 +1200:
>> Swift has had storage policies for a while now. These are enabled by
>> setting the 'X-Storage-Policy' header on a container.
>>
>> It looks to me like this is not possible using openstack-client (even in
>> master branch) - while there is a 'set' operation for containers this
>> will *only* set  'Meta-*' type headers.
>>
>> It seems to me that adding this would be highly desirable. Is it in the
>> pipeline? If not I might see how much interest there is at my end for
>> adding such - as (famous last words) it looks pretty straightforward to do.
>
> I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to implement that and I'm not
> aware of anyone working on it. If you're interested and have time,
> please do work on the patch(es).

The primary thing that hinders Swift work like this is OSC does not
use swiftclient as it wasn't a standalone thing yet when I wrote that
bit (lifting much of the actual API code from swiftclient) .  We
decided a while ago to not add that dependency and drop the
OSC-specific object code and use the SDK when we start using SDK for
everything else, after there is an SDK 1.0 release.

Moving forward on this today using either OSC's api.object code or the
SDK would be fine, with the same SDK caveat we have with Neutron,
since SDK isn't 1.0 we may have to play catch-up and maintain multiple
SDK release compatibilities (which has happened at least twice).

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com