[openstack-dev] [osc][swift] Setting storage policy for a container possible via the client?

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Apr 27 03:58:57 UTC 2018

On 20/04/18 04:54, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Mark Kirkwood's message of 2018-04-19 16:47:58 +1200:
>>> Swift has had storage policies for a while now. These are enabled by
>>> setting the 'X-Storage-Policy' header on a container.
>>>
>>> It looks to me like this is not possible using openstack-client (even in
>>> master branch) - while there is a 'set' operation for containers this
>>> will *only* set  'Meta-*' type headers.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that adding this would be highly desirable. Is it in the
>>> pipeline? If not I might see how much interest there is at my end for
>>> adding such - as (famous last words) it looks pretty straightforward to do.
>> I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to implement that and I'm not
>> aware of anyone working on it. If you're interested and have time,
>> please do work on the patch(es).
> The primary thing that hinders Swift work like this is OSC does not
> use swiftclient as it wasn't a standalone thing yet when I wrote that
> bit (lifting much of the actual API code from swiftclient) .  We
> decided a while ago to not add that dependency and drop the
> OSC-specific object code and use the SDK when we start using SDK for
> everything else, after there is an SDK 1.0 release.
>
> Moving forward on this today using either OSC's api.object code or the
> SDK would be fine, with the same SDK caveat we have with Neutron,
> since SDK isn't 1.0 we may have to play catch-up and maintain multiple
> SDK release compatibilities (which has happened at least twice).

Ok, understood. I've uploaded a small patch that adding policy
specification to 'container create' and adds some policy details display
to 'container show' and 'object store account show' [1]. It uses the
existing api design, but tries to get the display to look a little like
what the swift cli provides (particularly for the account info).

regards
Mark
[1] Gerrit topic is objectstorepolicies