[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Zuul v3 migration update

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Sep 29 01:40:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017, at 03:24 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> We're there. It's ready.
>
> We've worked through all of the migration script issues and are happy
> with the results. The cutover trigger is primed and ready to go.
>
> But as it's 21:51 UTC / 16:52 US Central it's a short day to be
> available to respond to the questions folks may have... so we're going
> to postpone one more day.
>
> Since it's all ready to go we'll be looking at flipping the switch first
> thing in the morning. (basically as soon as the West Coast wakes up and
> is ready to go)
>
> The project-config repo should still be considered frozen except for
> migration-related changes. Hopefully we'll be able to flip the final
> switch early tomorrow.
>
> If you haven't yet, please see [1] for information about the transition.
>
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html

Its done! Except for all the work to make jobs run properly. Early today
(PDT) we converted everything over to our auto generated Zuulv3 config.
Since then we've been working to address problems in job configs.

These problems include:
    Missing inclusion of the requirements repo for constraints in some
    jobs
    Configuration of python35 unittest jobs in some cases
    Use of sudo checking not working properly
    Multinode jobs not having multinode nodesets

Known issues we will continue to work on:
    Multinode devstack and grenade jobs are not working quite right
    Releasenote jobs not working due to use of origin/ refs in git
    It looks like we may not have job branch exclusions in place for all
    cases
    The zuul-cloner shim may not work in all cases. We are tracking down
    and fixing the broken corner cases.

Keep in mind that with things in flux, there is a good chance that
changes enqueued to the gate will fail. It is a good idea to check
recent check queue results before approving changes.

I don't think we've found any deal breaker problems at this point. I am
sure there are many more than I have listed above. Please feel free to
ask us about any errors. For the adventurous, fixing problems is likely
a great way to get familiar with the new system. You'll want to start by
fixing errors in openstack-infra/openstack-zuul-jobs/playbooks/legacy.
Once that stabilizes the next step is writing native job configs within
your project tree. Documentation can be found at
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html. I expect we'll
spend the next few days ironing out the transition.

Thank you for your patience,
Clark