[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 22 14:31:20 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-22 15:04:43 +0200 (+0200), Attila Fazekas wrote:
> "if DevStack gets custom images prepped to make its jobs
> run faster, won't Triple-O, Kolla, et cetera want the same and where
> do we draw that line?). "
>
> IMHO we can try to have only one big image per distribution,
> where the packages are the union of the packages requested by all team,
> minus the packages blacklisted by any team.
[...]

Until you realize that some projects want packages from UCA, from
RDO, from EPEL, from third-party package repositories. Version
conflicts mean they'll still spend time uninstalling the versions
they don't want and downloading/installing the ones they do so we
have to optimize for one particular set and make the rest
second-class citizens in that scenario.

Also, preinstalling packages means we _don't_ test that projects
actually properly declare their system-level dependencies any
longer. I don't know if anyone's concerned about that currently, but
it used to be the case that we'd regularly add/break the package
dependency declarations in DevStack because of running on images
where the things it expected were preinstalled.
--
Jeremy Stanley