[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Attila Fazekas afazekas at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 12:15:53 UTC 2017

The gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ubuntu-xenial job is 20..30 min slower
than it supposed to be/used to be.

The extra time has multiple reasons and it is not because we test more :( .
Usually we are just less smart than before.

Huge time increment is visible in devstack as well.
devstack is advertised as:

Running devstack ... this takes 10 - 15 minutes (logs in
logs/devstacklog.txt.gz)

The actual time is 20 - 25 min according to openstack health:
http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/#/test/devstack?resolutionKey=day&duration=P6M

Let's start with the first obvious difference compared to the old-time
jobs.:
The jobs does 120..220 sec apt-get install and packages defined
/files/debs/general are missing from the images before starting the job.

We used to bake multiple packages into the images based on the package list
provided by devstack in order to save time.

Why this does not happens anymore ?
Is anybody working on solving this issue ?
Is any blocker technical issue / challenge exists ?
Was it a design decision ?

We have similar issue with pypi usage as well.

PS.:
Generally a good idea to group these kind of package install commands to
one huge pip/apt-get/yum .. invocation, because these tools has significant
start up time and they also need to process the dependency graph at
install/update.