[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 19 13:03:39 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-19 14:15:53 +0200 (+0200), Attila Fazekas wrote:
[...]
> Let's start with the first obvious difference compared to the old-time
> jobs.:
> The jobs does 120..220 sec apt-get install and packages defined
> /files/debs/general are missing from the images before starting the job.
>
> We used to bake multiple packages into the images based on the package list
> provided by devstack in order to save time.
>
> Why this does not happens anymore ?
> Is anybody working on solving this issue ?
> Is any blocker technical issue / challenge exists ?
> Was it a design decision ?
[...]

In order to reduce image sizes and the time it takes to build
images, once we had local package caches in each provider we stopped
pre-retrieving packages onto the images. Is the time spent at this
stage mostly while downloading package files (which is what that
used to alleviate) or is it more while retrieving indices or
installing the downloaded packages (things having them pre-retrieved
on the images never solved anyway)?

Our earlier analysis of the impact of dropping package files from
images indicated it was negligible for most jobs because of the
caching package mirrors we maintain nearby.
--
Jeremy Stanley