[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] resource providers update 40

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Oct 27 11:41:43 UTC 2017

Update 40 will be the last one before a short gap unless someone else
wants to fill the gap. Next week I'll be travelling to Sydney. The
week after that I'll be taking a break in Sydney after the summit. The
week after that I'll be lost in a fog of jetlag and travel fatigue.
So, the next one of these I write will be a (US) Thanksgiving edition.

# Most Important

Reviewing and responding to review suggestions on the patches
identified in the "Main Themes" section.

If you're going to summit there's a forum session on placement:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20491/placement-update-and-direction

# What's Changed

The Selection object changed form again, slightly, to use the
SchedulerLimits object. Reviewers are happy with the patch that adds the
object but have pinned it with a -2 in case patches above it reveal
bad mojo. This is probably wise as the shape of the object has changed
several times over the course of its existence. See below for links.

# Main Themes

The main bits for resource providers is getting very close at

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/nested-resource-providers

Trait support is very relevant for nested providers, that work is at

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/bp/add-trait-support-in-allocation-candidates

And there's emerging work for expressing the relationship between a
particular provider and its traits:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/granular-resource-requests

## Migration allocations

The migration allocations work is a hair's breadth away from fully
merged:

      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/migration-allocations

Management of those allocations currently involves some raciness,
birthing the idea to allow POST /allocations, which causes a cascade
of required changes to bring that about. The code stack for that
starts at:

      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/501051/

## Alternate Hosts

We want to be able to do retries within cells, so we need some
alternate hosts when returning a destination that are structured
nicely for RPC (this is the Selection object stuff mentioned above):

      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/return-alternate-hosts

# Other

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/508555/
    Re-use existing ComputeNode on ironic rebalance

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512553/
    Reproduce bug 1724172 in the functional test env
    (this is an allocations related bug)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493865/
    cover migration cases with functional tests

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/513041/
    Extract instance allocation removal code

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/495159/
    Test resource allocation during soft delete

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499539/
    Moving more utils to ServerResourceAllocationTestBase

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/503037/
    factor out compute service start in ServerMovingTest

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/505202/
    Change live_migrate tests to use fakedriver

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/497399/
    Extend ServerMovingTests with custom resources

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/506175/
   get_inventory in vmware driver

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/339204/
   get_inventory in xenapi driver

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1702420
     Fixes for shared providers map being incorrect

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499826/
     Include /resource_providers/uuid/allocations link

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492247/
     Use ksa adapter for placement conf & requests

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-osc-plugin
     Placement plugin for osc

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492571/
     Make compute log less verbose with allocs autocorrection

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499539/
     Stack of functional test fixups

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/495380/
     [placement] manage cache headers for /resource_providers
     (This needs some rebasing to get the microversion handling right)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/allocation-candidates-limit
    Enable limiting GET /allocation_candidates

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/513057/
    [placement] Clean up TODOs in allocations.yaml gabbit

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1578989
    move placement client in neutron to neutron-lib and add
    functionality

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/494206/
    Remove the Pike migration code for [Ironic] flavor migration

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511342/
    placement: add API reference for create inventory

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/add-support-for-vgpu
   Add support for VGPU

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-test-enhancement
   Some functional test improvements for placement

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512497/
   refactor placement version check

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-doc-enhancement-queens
   placement api ref cleanups

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/513834/
   a refactor to a bit of db/test_resource_provider.py

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1724613
   demo test of https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1724613
   and https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1724633

# End

Thanks for reading this far. If you want a prize you get one if you
help to remove something from this list without also making it longer.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/