[openstack-dev] [security] Security SIG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 27 13:30:34 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Once upon a time we only had one governance construct to recognize
activity in OpenStack, and that was the upstream project teams. As a
result, we created teams for everything.

However with the introduction of SIGs, we have a new construct for
activities that are not mainly about producing OpenStack software bits
(for which we should continue to use project teams) or directly related
to a specific governance body (for which we should continue to use
"working groups").

SIGs are especially good when the activity is centered around a topic or
practice that spans all our community (developers, operators, end
users...), forming a guild of people with a shared interest.

Security IMHO is a great example of such a topic. The Security team's
raison-d'ĂȘtre is the production of software, but more generally the
improvement of the state of security in all aspects of OpenStack. It can
gather all security-conscious people in all our community.

So I think the Security project team would benefit from becoming a
proper SIG.

You might say, but it also produces software (anchor, bandit,
syntribos...). You would be right, but (1) SIGs can totally have
software by-products and own git repositories, and (2) that software is
more about security in general than a piece of OpenStack itself.

You might wonder, will that result in losing ATC status (TC voting
rights) ? Well no, the plan being to consider SIGs in the same way as
project teams as far as voting rights are concerned.

What do you think ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)