[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Oct 10 20:24:36 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2017-10-10 22:03:44 +0200:
> On 10/10/2017 01:16 PM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> > Regardless, given that this is not functionality currently> available for setuptools, distutils or pbr it would seem
> > that this functionality (or another applicable workaround)
> > would have to be carried by Debian packaging until such
> > time that such a facility exists in the python tooling.
>
> We don't control setuptools/distutils directly. The only thing we
> control is PBR. So my proposal is:
>
> 1/ Design a new config_files directive in setup.cfg and patch PBR so
> that it understands it.

We are doing other work to make pbr have *fewer* features. I'm not sure
this is the sort of direction we would want to go, although I'm not
voting -2 right now.

I still think we should just be looking at these files as sample
data and not active configuration files when we put them into the sdist
or wheel.

Doug