[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting volume_type when booting from volume

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 00:53:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> If it's just too much debt and risk of slippery slope type arguments on
> >> the Nova side (and that's fair, after lengthy conversations with Nova
> folks
> >> I get it), do we consider just orchestrating this from say OpenStack
> Client
> >> completely?  The last resort (and it's an awful option) is orchestrate
> the
> >> whole thing from Cinder.  We can certainly make calls to Nova and pass
> in
> >> the volume using the semantics that are already accepted and in use.
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > /me runs away screaming!
>
> Now I know Sean's weakness...

​Ha!  I thought it was the put it in Cinder part (so I have a patch queued
up for emergencies when I need to threaten him). :)
​

> In this particular case it may not be necessary, but I think early
> implementation of composite features in clients is actually the right
> way to prove the utility of these things going forward.

​Yeah, I've been doing more with OSC as of late and it really has all the
pieces and currently is one of the few places in OpenStack that really
knows what the other actors are up to (or at least how to communicate with
them and ask them to do things).

It does seem like a reasonable place (OSC), and as far as some major
objections I've heard already around "where would you draw the line"...
yeah, that's important.  To start though orchestrated "features" that have
been requested for multiple releases that are actually fairly trivial to
implement might be a great starting point.  It's at least worth thinking on
for a bit in my opinion.
​