[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting volume_type when booting from volume

Michael Glasgow michael.glasgow at oracle.com
Wed May 24 00:12:02 UTC 2017

On 5/23/2017 4:43 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> In this particular case it may not be necessary, but I think early
> implementation of composite features in clients is actually the right
> way to prove the utility of these things going forward.  Establish and
> document the process, implement in a way for users to opt-in, and move
> into the services as they are proven useful.

A slight disadvantage of this approach is that the resulting
incongruence between the client and the API is obfuscating.  When an end
user can make accurate inferences about the API based on how the client
works, that's a form of transparency that can pay dividends.

Also in terms of the "slippery slope" that has been raised, putting
small bits of orchestration into the client creates a grey area there as
well:  how much is too much?

OTOH I don't disagree with you.  This approach might be the best of
several not-so-great options, but I wish I could think of a better one.

--
Michael Glasgow