[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Missing answers on Pike release goals

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 23 14:52:23 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2017-05-23 13:57:53 +0000:
> On 2017-05-23 05:40:05 -0500 (-0500), Dean Troyer wrote:
> > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > > - Is it that the reporting process is too heavy ? (requiring answers
> > > from projects that are obviously unaffected)
> >
> > I've thought about this, OSC was unaffected by one of the goals but
> > not the other, so I can't really hide in this bucket.  It really is
> > not that hard to put up a review saying "not me".
>
> While not at all an excuse, that was entirely what I chalk my lapse
> up to this time. I had already commented on the governance reviews
> that I had discussed the proposed goals with the rest of the Infra
> team and we'd come to the conclusion that they were either
> inapplicable or already met for us. It just escaped my memory that I
> needed to go back and reassert that again once the goals were
> officially approved.
>
> Also, I still agree that it's hard to figure out which teams
> actually are affected without asking them, and that's this step of
> the process: confirmation/denial on record.

Right. The goals process is not about anyone telling anyone else what to
do. It's about communicating with each other about a few central
priorities. Part of that communication requires going through some hoops
even when they seem trivial or unnecessary based on what you know,
because the rest of us are not inside your head and don't automatically
have that knowledge. :-)

Doug