[openstack-dev] [all] Onboarding rooms postmortem, what did you do, what worked, lessons learned

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri May 19 13:38:59 UTC 2017

On 05/19/2017 09:22 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> If you ran a room, please post the project, what you did in the room,
> what you think worked, what you would have done differently. If you
> attended a room you didn't run, please provide feedback about which one
> it was, and what you thought worked / didn't work from the other side of
> the table.

Project: Nova
Attendees: 25 - 30
Notes: (this conflicted with Baremetal/VM platform part 1, may have
impacted attendance)
Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-nova-project-onboarding

What we did:

To get the room warmed up (it was the first post keynote session), we
prepared a document which was an annotated flow of the logs of booting
up a server with openstack client -
https://github.com/sdague/nova-boot-flow/blob/master/flow.rst - and
talked through all of that, fielding questions along the way. That
actually took about 45 minutes because 20 minutes in the room had warmed
up and started asking a bunch of questions (especially around scheduling
which always seems like a hot area).

We used the back half of the session for just audience questions. Some
of the more interesting ones were diving into what a context really is
(that's a pretty core concept in multiple projects, but one we forget is
new to people).

We did an adhoc diagramming of the basic api.py -> rpcapi.py ->
manager.py pattern in the code that hits all the different daemons. And
even looked at some of the directory structures on how this is organized.

There was a good conversation towards the end on debug strategies. Most
of us are print/log debuggers, but guru mediation was news to most folks
in the room. Definitely clear that there is a need for a pdb guide for
OpenStack (by someone that regularly uses it).

There was also a good discussion around types of arguments in Nova
function calls, and how much one can trust they know what a variable
named "instance" really is.

What worked:

It was really good to have some interactive technical content pre canned
to get the conversation going. Rooms start cold, and you need to get
people interactive.

Questions phase turned out really good. They also seemed pretty spread
around the audience.

Do differently next time:

Recording would have been great.

We did a poor job of fielding questions off the etherpad because my
laptop was being used show flows or answers. Next time it would be good
to have 2 computers up, one on the etherpad watching for questions from
quieter people there, while we have other relevant answer material on
the projector.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague