[openstack-dev] [tc][swg] Updates on the TC Vision for 2019
colettealexander at gmail.com
Wed May 17 18:29:07 UTC 2017
Just wanted to send the community some updates on the vision front and also
get a discussion with the members of the technical committee going here for
next steps on what we're up to with the TC Vision for 2019 .
A couple things:
1. We finished our feedback phase by closing the survey we had open, and
posting all collected feedback in a document for TC (and community) review
 and having a session at the Boston Forum where we presented the vision,
and also took feedback from those present . There is also some feedback
in Gerrit for the review up of the first draft , so that's a few places
we've covered for feedback.
2. We're now entering the phase of work where we incorporate feedback into
the next draft of the vision and finalize it for posterity/the governance
repository/ourselves and ourselves.
So! What should feedback incorporation look like? I think we need to have
mbmers of the TC pipe up a bit here to discuss timelines for this round and
also who all will be involved. Some rough estimates we came up with were
something over the course of the 2-3 weeks after the Forum that could then
be +2d into governance by mid-June or so. I'm not sure if that's possible
based on everyone's travel/work/vacation schedules for the summer, but it
would be great. Thoughts on that?
Also - I promised to attempt to come up with some general themes in
feedback we've uncovered for suggestions for edits:
- There is (understandably) a lot of feedback around what the nature of
the vision is itself. This might best be cleared up with a quick prologue
explaining why the vision reads the way it does, and what the intention was
behind writing it this way.
- The writing about constellations, generally, got quite a bit of feedback
(some folks wanted more explanation, others wanted it to be more succinct,
so I think wading through the data to read everyone's input on this is
- Ease of installation & upgrades are language that comes up multiple times
- Many people asked for a bullet-points version, and/or that it be edited
& shortened a bit
- A few people said 2 years was not enough time and this read more like a
5 year vision
- A few people mentioned issues of OpenStack at scale and wondering
whether that might be addressed in the vision
- There was some question of whether it was appropriate to vision for "x
number of users with yz types of deployments" as a target number to hit in
this vision, or whether it should be left for an OpenStack-wide community
- Lots of people loved the idea of constellations
- A lot of likes for better mentoring & the ladders program
- Some likes for diversity across the TC of the future
Okay - I think that's a pretty good summary. If anyone else has any
feedback they'd like to make sure gets into the conversation, please feel
free to reply in this thread.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev