[openstack-dev] [releases] Stable branch conflicting information

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon May 15 16:20:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 03:19:09PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > So I noticed today that the release information [0] for Newton appears to have
> > the wrong date for when Newton transitions to the Legacy Phase. According to
> > this conversation [1], I think (thought?) we established that rolling over to
> > each support phase would stay on a 6 month cycle, despite Ocata being a shorter
> > development cycle.
> >
> > I am not talking about EOL here, just the transition periods for stable
> > branches to move to the next phase.
> >
> > Based on this, the Next Phase for Newton appears to be wrong because it is on
> > a 6 month period from the Ocata release, not based on Newton's actual release
> > date.
>
> You are correct. Phase transitions are based on the initial release
> date, not the next ones. Phase III for Newton should start on 2017-10-06.

Thanks Thierry. I've submitted https://review.openstack.org/#/c/464683/ to
correct that. I actually state 2017-10-09 there as it appears most recently
all of our transition dates are the first Monday following the 6 month mark.

That can be debated in the review though if there are differing opinions on
that.

> > I was going to put up a patch to fix this, but then got myself really confused
> > because I couldn't actually reconcile the dates based on how the rest of the
> > phase information is listed there. Going off of what we state in our Stable
> > Branch phases [2], we are not following what we have published there.
> >
> > Based on that information, Mitaka should still be in the Legacy phase, and
> > not actually EOL'd for another 6 months. (Well, technically that actual EOL
> > date isn't called out in the documentation, so I'm just assuming another 6
> > months)
>
> Actually the duration of stable branch life support is independent of
> the definition of the 3 support phases. If you read the end of that
> paragraph, it says:
>
> [snip]
>
> Currently, the stable maint team supports branches for about 12 months.
> Depending on when exactly the branch is EOLed, that basically means you
> do not do much (if any) phase III support.

It appears in practice we do not actually do phase III support. We could
clarify that, but I suppose leaving it as is gives us some leeway if we
do choose to keep a branch around a little longer.

It just looks a little odd to me to have the phase III date immediately
at or before the EOL date, but on the other hand, that does in fact
accurately reflect reality, so not really a concern.