[openstack-dev] [Heat] Heat template example repository

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon May 15 16:10:25 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 04:46:28PM +0200, Lance Haig wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I am happy to assist in any way to be honest.
>
> The backwards compatibility is not always correct as I have seen when
> developing our library of templates on Liberty and then trying to deploy it
> on Mitaka for example.

Yeah, I guess it's true that there are sometimes deprecated resource
interfaces that get removed on upgrade to a new OpenStack version, and that
is independent of the HOT version.

As we've proven, maintaining these templates has been a challenge given the
available resources, so I guess I'm still in favor of not duplicating a bunch
of templates, e.g perhaps we could focus on a target of CI testing
templates on the current stable release as a first step?

> As you guys mentioned in our discussions the Networking example I quoted is
> not something you guys can deal with as the source project affects this.
>
> Unless we can use this exercise to test these and fix them then I am
> happier.
>
> My vision would be to have a set of templates and examples that are tested
> regularly against a running OS deployment so that we can make sure the
> combinations still run. I am sure we can agree on a way to do this with CICD
> so that we test the fetureset.

Agreed, getting the approach to testing agreed seems like the first step -
FYI we do already have automated scenario tests in the main heat tree that
consume templates similar to many of the examples:

https://github.com/openstack/heat/tree/master/heat_integrationtests/scenario

So, in theory, getting a similar test running on heat_templates should be
fairly simple, but getting all the existing templates working is likely to
be a bigger challenge.

Steve