[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] [cinder] [neutron] [keystone] - RFC cross project request id tracking

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Mon May 15 12:16:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:20 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 05/15/2017 05:59 AM, Andrey Volkov wrote:
> >
> >> The last time this came up, some people were concerned that trusting
> >> request-id on the wire was concerning to them because it's coming from
> >> random users.
> >
> > TBH I don't see the reason why a validated request-id value can't be
> > logged on a callee service side, probably because I missed some previous
> > context. Could you please give an example of such concerns?
> >
> > With service user I see two blocks:
> > - A callee service needs to know if it's "special" user or not.
> > - Until all services don't use a service user we'll not get the complete
> trace.
>
> That is doable, but then you need to build special tools to generate
> even basic flows. It means that the Elastic Search use case (where
> plopping in a request id shows you things across services) does not
> work. Because the child flows don't have the new id.
>
> It's also fine to *also* cross log the child/callee request idea on the
> parent/caller, but it's not actually going to be sufficiently useful to
> most people.

+1

To me it makes sense to supply the override so that a single request-id can
track multiple operations across services. But I'm struggling to find a
case where passing a list(global_request_id, local_request_id) is useful.
This might be something we can elaborate on later, if we find a use case
for including multiple request-ids.