[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Octave J. Orgeron octave.orgeron at oracle.com
Mon May 8 17:24:00 UTC 2017

Hi Jeremy,

I'm sure everyone would love to see Solaris open sourced again. I know I
do! But unfortunately, it's not something within my power or control.

However, there is the reality that OpenStack wouldn't be as successful
without commercial companies contributing to it. A good example is all
of the excellent work done in Cinder and Neutron, where we have hundreds
of drivers for networking gear, SDNs, NAS/SAN storage, etc. In those
cases, none of those products that those drivers are written for are
open sourced and they meet less resistance to committing code upstream.
So I have to call BS on your comment that the community can't work with
us because Solaris isn't open sourced.

Now for Oracle, we definitely need more 3rd party CI to make it easier
to test our drivers, components, and patches against so that it's easier
for the community to validate things. However, it takes time, resources,
and money to make that happen. Hopefully that will get sorted out over
time. But even if we make all of the investments in setting that up, we
still need the upstream teams to come to the table and not shun us away
just because we are Oracle :)

Octave