[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:21:21 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05.05.2017 14:12, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On 05/05/2017 07:16 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
>>> So perhaps there is a (naive?) option #3: Do not support or nurse gates
>>> for stable branches upstream. Instead, only create and close them and
>>> attach 3rd party gating, if asked by contributors willing to support and
>>> nurse their gates.
>>
>> I think it's important to clarify the amount of infrastructure that goes
>> into testing OpenStack. We build a whole cloud, from source, installing
>> ~ 200 python packages, many from git trees, configure and boot 100+ VMs
>> on it in different ways. And do that with a number of different default
>> configs.
>>
>> Nothing prevents anyone from building a kilo branch in a public github
>> and doing their own CI against it. But we've never seen anyone do that,
>> because there is a lot of work in maintaining a CI system. A lot of
>> expertise needed to debug when things go wrong. Anyone can captain a
>
> We need no to underscore complexity of stable branches maintaining,
> indeed. Complexity and costs are huge, and it sounds even more
> reasonable for operators to join efforts of isolated teams that have
> been patching Kilo for years, multiple downstream - therefore isolated
> as well - places, fighting same problems but different ways, wasting
> engineering, management resources and hardware ever and ever again. It
> should be obvious that it is much less expensive to cooperate here. I
> can't get it what "prevents anyone from building a kilo branch in a
> public github and doing their own CI against it", a riddle it is.

Bogdan, Folks,

I would encourage folks here to help the stable branches we have right
now! Release/Requirements constantly wait on Stable team and Stable
team is way short of hands.

Please join #openstack-stable, throw your name in wiki etc
(https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Stable_Branch)
and get active.

If we have trouble taking care of what we have now, how can we do more?

Thanks,
Dims