[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Fri May 5 13:34:50 UTC 2017

On 05.05.2017 14:12, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 05/05/2017 07:16 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
>> So perhaps there is a (naive?) option #3: Do not support or nurse gates
>> for stable branches upstream. Instead, only create and close them and
>> attach 3rd party gating, if asked by contributors willing to support and
>> nurse their gates.
>
> I think it's important to clarify the amount of infrastructure that goes
> into testing OpenStack. We build a whole cloud, from source, installing
> ~ 200 python packages, many from git trees, configure and boot 100+ VMs
> on it in different ways. And do that with a number of different default
> configs.
>
> Nothing prevents anyone from building a kilo branch in a public github
> and doing their own CI against it. But we've never seen anyone do that,
> because there is a lot of work in maintaining a CI system. A lot of
> expertise needed to debug when things go wrong. Anyone can captain a

We need no to underscore complexity of stable branches maintaining,
indeed. Complexity and costs are huge, and it sounds even more
reasonable for operators to join efforts of isolated teams that have
been patching Kilo for years, multiple downstream - therefore isolated
as well - places, fighting same problems but different ways, wasting
engineering, management resources and hardware ever and ever again. It
should be obvious that it is much less expensive to cooperate here. I
can't get it what "prevents anyone from building a kilo branch in a
public github and doing their own CI against it", a riddle it is.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,