[openstack-dev] [nova] [notification] BlockDeviceMapping in InstancePayload

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Mar 13 17:14:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

As part of the Searchlight integration we need to extend our instance
notifications with BDM data [1]. As far as I understand the main goal
is to provide enough data about the instance to Searchlight so that
Nova can use Searchlight to generate the response of the GET
/servers/{server_id} requests based on the data stored in Searchlight.

I checked the server API response and I found one field that needs BDM
related data: os-extended-volumes:volumes_attached. Only the uuid of
the volume and the value of delete_on_terminate is provided in the API
response.

I have two options about what to add to the InstancePayload and I want
to get some opinions about which direction we should go with the
implementation.

Option A: Add only the minimum required information from the BDM to the
InstancePayload

  additional InstancePayload field:
      block_devices: ListOfObjectsField(BlockDevicePayload)

  class BlockDevicePayload(base.NotificationPayloadBase):
    fields = {
        'delete_on_termination': fields.BooleanField(default=False),
        'volume_id': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
    }

This payload would be generated from the BDMs connected to the instance
where the BDM.destination_type == 'volume'.

Option B: Provide a comprehensive set of BDM attributes

  class BlockDevicePayload(base.NotificationPayloadBase):
    fields = {
        'source_type': fields.BlockDeviceSourceTypeField(nullable=True),
        'destination_type': fields.BlockDeviceDestinationTypeField(
                                nullable=True),
        'guest_format': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'device_type': fields.BlockDeviceTypeField(nullable=True),
        'disk_bus': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'boot_index': fields.IntegerField(nullable=True),
        'device_name': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'delete_on_termination': fields.BooleanField(default=False),
        'snapshot_id': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'volume_id': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'volume_size': fields.IntegerField(nullable=True),
        'image_id': fields.StringField(nullable=True),
        'no_device': fields.BooleanField(default=False),
        'tag': fields.StringField(nullable=True)
    }

In this case Nova would provide every BDM attached to the instance not
just the volume ones.

I intentionally left out connection_info and the db id as those seems
really system internal.
I also left out the instance related references as this
BlockDevicePayload would be part of an InstancePayload which has an the
instance uuid already.

What do you think, which direction we should go?

Cheers,
gibi

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight