[openstack-dev] [api][qa][tc][nova][cinder] Testing of a microversioned world

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:37:04 UTC 2017

Hey Everyone,

So along the lines of an earlier thread that went out regarding testing of
deprecated API's and Tempest etc [1].

Now that micro-versions are *the API versioning scheme to rule them all*
one question I've not been able to find an answer for is what we're going
to promise here for support and testing.  My understanding thus far is that
the "community" approach here is "nothing is ever deprecated, and
everything is supported forever".

That's sort of a tall order IMO, but ok.  I've already had some questions
from folks about implementing an explicit Tempest test for every
micro-versioned implementation of an API call also.  My response has been
"nahh, just always test latest available".  This kinda means that we're not
testing/supporting the previous versions as promised though.

Anyway; I'm certain that between Nova and the API-WG this has come up and
is probably addressed, just wondering if somebody can point me to some
documentation or policies in this respect.

Thanks,
John