[openstack-dev] [all] Some information about the Forum at the Summit in Boston

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 15:26:41 UTC 2017

On 3/7/2017 6:35 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently got more information about the space dedicated to the "Forum"
> at the OpenStack Summit in Boston. We'll have three different types of
> spaces available.
>
> 1/ "Forum" proper
>
> There will be 3 medium-sized fishbowl rooms for cross-community
> discussions. Topics for the discussions in that space will be selected
> and scheduled by a committee formed of TC and UC members, facilitated by
> Foundation staff members. In case you missed it, the brainstorming for
> topics started last week, announced by Emilien in that email:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113115.html
>
> 2/ "On-boarding" rooms
>
> We'll have two rooms set up in classroom style, dedicated to project
> teams and workgroups who want to on-board new team members. Those can
> for example be booked by project teams to run an introduction to their
> codebase to prospective new contributors, in the hope that they will
> join their team in the future. Those are not meant to do traditional
> user-facing "project intro" talks -- there is space in the conference
> for that. They are meant to provide the next logical step in
> contributing after Upstream University and being involved on the
> sidelines. It covers the missing link for prospective contributors
> between attending Summit and coming to the PTG. Kendall Nelson and Mike
> Perez will soon announce the details for this, including how projects
> can sign up.
>
> 3/ Free hacking/meetup space
>
> We'll have four or five rooms populated with roundtables for ad-hoc
> discussions and hacking. We don't have specific plans for these -- we
> could set up something like the PTG ethercalc for teams to book the
> space, or keep it open. Maybe half/half.
>
> More details on all this as they come up.
> Hoping to see you there !

Thanks for the details, this helps.

Any idea what the breakdown in days are going to be, like "Forum"
sessions are Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday, or are they all four days?

The nova people that are going to be there would like to take advantage
of the face-to-face time to work on some of the priority items for the
Pike release in the free hacking/meetup space but without knowing when
the other sessions are going to be it's hard to know when we can
schedule space in the hacking pit.

If that's all TBD that's fair, I just wanted to ask.

Matt Riedemann