[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Pike PTG recap - quotas

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Mar 3 21:43:35 UTC 2017

The irc conversations have been continuing in #openstack-dev, which has
had a solid mix of Nova and Keystone folks quite active in that.

Out of it we've started to form 2 documents in the keystone-specs
repository.

1) A high level spec on an unified limits approach -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440815/ - this is my attempt to take
what was presented at the PTG of existing ideas, and put them into some
common document. It stays out of the details of some of the interfaces
per say, and tries to get a bit of a higher level agreement.

2) one of the things that becomes clear is that folks want to
immediately jump into thinking about what the enforcement strategies for
hierarchical quotas will be. It turns out defining these rules, and the
error conditions, fro hierarchies that have more than depth 2 is hard.
Especially when the implications of computing usage comes out. Also,
personally, it's too much brain power for me to take pseudo code or even
ascii art, and visualize it in my head.

This document https://review.openstack.org/#/c/441203 uses blockdiag to
lay out a few models, and put names on them. *This is not complete*
however once we have models, scenarios in those models, what works and
doesn't, and have names which are more meaningful than overbooking
(which we realized was meaning different things to different people).
People are welcome to append their own models and ideas here.

At some point, we'll start talking about which model(s) OpenStack will
support. The answer might be multiple, but until we explore the space,
jumping to conclusions about what really fits here is going to be tough.

	-Sean

Sean Dague
http://dague.net