[openstack-dev] [ironic] gate jobs using or enabling *_ssh drivers

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 1 11:59:22 UTC 2017

Hi ironicers,

at the PTG we decided to remove the unsupported SSH drivers from ironic
code tree during Pike release. Below is an update on which CI jobs for
projects under Baremetal program governance do still use them and thus are
blocking us from removing these drivers.

tl;dr: 2 tempest-dsvm jobs + 2 grenade-dsvm jobs + 3 in bifrost + most just
enable some *_ssh driver

First of all, most of the gates running ironic service as part of DevStack
are at least enabling one of {agent,pxe}_ssh drivers due to current
defaults in openstack-infra/devstack-gate [0-1]. As our job builders in
project-config mostly do not set enabled drivers themselves (only
experimental standalone job does it), this must be fixed last (after no job
running thru devstack-gate is using *_ssh drivers is left) before removing
*_ssh drivers from ironic code.

Following is the per-project list of jobs that still deploy nodes via *_ssh
drivers and thus also rely on them being in enabled_drivers

ironic:
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-multitenant-network-ubuntu-xenial
- gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic-ubuntu-xenial

ironic-inspector:
- gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic-inspector-ubuntu-xenial

python-ironicclient:
- gate-tempest-dsvm-python-ironicclient-src-ubuntu-xenial

I have assigned myself to the rfe bug [2] and will start putting up test
patches to ironic and devstack-gate to test the deploy driver change, and
then propose changes to devstack-gate/project-config when sure nothing gets
broken.

The whole switch might be a bit complicated due to project-config and
devstack-gate being branch-less, and we still have mitaka branch around,
which, while seeming to support testing with ipmitool+virtualbmc, has no
solid record of running such tests. However, Mitaka release is EOLed in
just one month [3], so even if there are problems, we could merge the
relevant changes after this date.

Additionally, while not depending on devstack/devstack-gate, bifrost
defaults to *_ssh drivers when in testing mode, and its functional jobs are
thus using *_ssh drivers. The series of patches to switch away from them is
on review [4] and the last one already passes relevant CI jobs.

[0] https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/
4eade8fab85dca475b0dd8d54d98649e6cdfcd57/devstack-vm-gate.sh#L416-L422
[1] https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/
24a6ed073b547fbbd484157e544b4bc10dda8880/devstack-vm-gate-wrap.sh#L235
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1570301
[3] https://releases.openstack.org/#release-series
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:
openstack/bifrost+branch:master+topic:bug/1659876

Cheers,

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer
Mirantis Inc