[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 15 14:43:06 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-15 11:15:36 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> I'd like to propose that we introduce a new concept: "OpenStack-Hosted
> projects". There would be "OpenStack projects" on one side, and
> "Projects hosted on OpenStack infrastructure" on the other side (all
> still under the openstack/ git repo prefix).

I'm still unconvinced a term is needed for this. Can't we just have
"OpenStack Projects" (those under TC governance) and "everything
else?" Why must the existence of any term require a term for its
opposite?

> We'll stop saying "official OpenStack project" and "unofficial
> OpenStack project". The only "OpenStack projects" will be the
> official ones. We'll chase down the last mentions of "big tent" in
> documentation and remove it from our vocabulary.
[...]

I agree on getting rid of the "big tent" phrase anywhere we find it,
though I thought we'd already avoided using that in favor of more
descriptive terminology anyway. Also I'm very excited to see a focus
on "OpenStack projects" I just don't see a benefit to making up a
name for "not an OpenStack project."
--
Jeremy Stanley