[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 15 14:57:20 UTC 2017

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 11:15:36 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [...]
>> I'd like to propose that we introduce a new concept: "OpenStack-Hosted
>> projects". There would be "OpenStack projects" on one side, and
>> "Projects hosted on OpenStack infrastructure" on the other side (all
>> still under the openstack/ git repo prefix).
>
> I'm still unconvinced a term is needed for this. Can't we just have
> "OpenStack Projects" (those under TC governance) and "everything
> else?" Why must the existence of any term require a term for its
> opposite?

Well, we tried that for 2.5 years now, and people are still confused
about which projects are an Openstack project and what are not. The
confusion led to the perception that everything under openstack/ is an
openstack project. It led to the perception that "big tent" means
"anything goes in" or "flea market".

Whether we like it or not, giving a name to that category, a name that
people can refer to (not "projects under openstack infrastructure that
are not officially recognized by the TC"), is I think the only way out
of this confusion.

Obviously we are not the target audience for that term. I think we are
deep enough in OpenStack and technically-focused enough to see through
that. But reality is, the majority of the rest of the world is confused,
and needs help figuring it out. Giving the category a name is a way to
do that.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)