[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] [cinder] [neutron] - Global Request ID progress

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 6 11:49:05 UTC 2017

Some good progress has been made so far on Global Request ID work in the
core IaaS layer, here is where we stand.

STATUS

oslo.context / oslo.middleware - everything DONE

devstack logging additional global_request_id - DONE

cinder:
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- Cinder calls Nova with global_request_id - TODO (waiting on Novaclient
release)
- Cinder calls Glance with global_request_id - TODO

neutron:
- client supports global_request_id - IN PROGRESS (this landed,
released, but the neutron client release had to be blocked for unrelated
issues).
- Neutron calls Nova with global_request_id - TODO (waiting on
Novaclient release)

nova:
- Convert to oslo.middleware (to accept global_request_id) - DONE
- client supports global_request_id - IN PROGRESS (waiting for release
here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471323/)
- Nova calls cinder with global_request_id - DONE
- Nova calls neutron with global_request_id - TODO (waiting on working
neutronclient release)
- Nova calls Glance with global request id - IN PROGRESS (review needs
final +2 here https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467242/)

glance:
- client supports global_request_id - DONE
- Glance supports setting global_request_id - IN REVIEW
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468443/) *(some debate on this).

Everything except the last glance change is uncontroversial, and it's
just mechanics and project management to get things through in the
correct order.

The Glance support for global_request_id has hit a bump in the review
process as there is a concern that it's changing the API. Though from an
end user perspective that's not happening, it's just changing which
field things get logged into. We'll see if we can work through that.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net