[openstack-dev] [tc] Status update, Jun 2

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 2 10:04:26 UTC 2017

Hi!

This new regular email will give you an update on the status of a number
of TC-proposed governance changes, in an attempt to rely less on a
weekly meeting to convey that information.

You can find the full status list of open topics at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Add Etcd as a base service [1]
* Add missing api document urls for some projects [2]
* Adjust governance to depend less on TC meetings for decisions [3] [4]
* New git repositories: zuul-base-jobs, zuul-jobs, ansible-hardening,
ldappool, charm-glusterfs, charm-manila-glusterfs
* Pike goal responses for Freezer, Karbor, Infra, Searchlight, Cinder

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467436/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468080/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467255/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/463141/

Adding etcd to base services means that OpenStack services will be able
to depend on etcd being present in OpenStack installations (as much as
they can rely on a database, Keystone or a message queue being present).
Read more at
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/base-services.html

== Open discussions ==

The policy discussion on binary images publication is in full swing. Two
versions were posted, although the second one is limited to Kolla
containers and therefore likely to be abandoned in favor of the first one:

* Guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts [5]
* Resolution regarding container images [6]

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469248/

A number of potential goals for Queens have been posted (as reviews or
ML threads) for initial discussion as well:

* Discovery alignment, with two options: [7] [8]
* Policy and docs in code [9]
* Migrate off paste [10]
* Continuing Python 3.5+ Support​ [11]

[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468436/
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468437/
[9] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469954/
[10] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117747.html
[11] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117746.html

== Voting in progress ==

The Top 5 help wanted list seems ready to move from discussion to
voting. It now includes an example followup patch:

* Introduce Top 5 help wanted list [12]
* Add "Doc owners" to top-5 wanted list [13]

[12] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/
[13] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469115/

We also have two items that reached majority over the past days and will
be approved on Monday unless the votes swing the other way:

* Introduce office hours [14]
* Establish a #openstack-tc water cooler channel [15]
* Add etherpad link with detailed steps to split-tempest-plugins goal [16]

[14] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467256/
[15] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467386/
[16] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468972/

== Blocked items ==

The discussion around postgresql support in OpenStack is still blocked,
with two proposals up:

* Declare plainly the current state of Posgresql in OpenStack [17]
* Document lack of postgresql support [18]

[17] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427880/
[18] https://review.openstack.org/465589

A TC meeting on Jun 6 will be called to discuss this item specifically.

The Gluon team could still use a TC member mentor/sponsor to help them
navigate the OpenStack seas as they engage to become an official
project. Any volunteer ?

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

johnthetubaguy, cdent, dtroyer to continue distill TC vision feedback
into actionable points (and split between cosmetic and significant
changes) [https://review.openstack.org/453262]

johnthetubaguy to update "Describe what upstream support means" with a
new revision [https://review.openstack.org/440601]

johnthetubaguy to update "Decisions should be globally inclusive" with a
new revision [https://review.openstack.org/460946]

flaper87 to update "Drop Technical Committee meetings" with a new
revision [https://review.openstack.org/459848]

ttx to communicate results of the 2017 contributor attrition stats
analysis he did

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

Based on past discussions, we'll call a meeting on Jun 6 at 20:00 UTC on
#openstack-meeting to specifically discuss the postgresql question,
hopefully unblocking the situation and defining a path forward. I'm
traveling on that day, so I'd like some other TC member to chair and
moderate that discussion. Let me know if you're interested. Sean
McGinnis volunteered, but since he might be traveling too it would be
great to have someone else signed up.

Thanks everyone!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)