[openstack-dev] [containers][magnum] Swarm Mode template

Kevin Lefevre lefevre.kevin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:33:49 UTC 2017

Hi, Docker 1.13 has been released with several improvements that brings
swarm mode principles closer to Kubernetes such as docker-compose
service swarm mode.

I'd like to implement a v2 swarm template. I don't know if it's already
been discussed.

Swarm mode is a bit different but a lot simpler to deploy than Swarm
Legacy.

In Kubernetes you can deploy multiples masters at the same time but in
swarm mode you have to:
- bootstrap a first docker node
- run docker swarm init
- get a token (worker or manager)
- bootstrap other worker
- use manager or worker token depending manager count.

I don't know what is the best way to do so in HEAT. I'm sure there are
multiple options (I'm not an expert in HEAT i don't know if they are
feasible) :

- Bootstrap a first server
- Wait for it to ready, run docker swarm init, get both manager and
worker tokens
- if manager count >1, we can bootstrap another resource group for
extra managers which will use a manager token.
- Bootstrap the rest of the worker and use a worker token.

The difficulty is to handle multiples master properly, i'd like to hear
your ideas about that.

--
Kevin Lefevre