[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:26:15 UTC 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 15:01, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Armando M.'s message of 2017-01-13 11:39:33 -0800:
> > On 13 January 2017 at 10:47, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-01-12 22:38:46 -0800:
> get me

> just
> Why

> that.
> > > >

> > > I totally disagree. If PaaS was the answer, they'd all be using PaaS.
> > >
> > > Maybe some day, but that's no excuse for having an overly complex story
> > > for the base. I totally appreciate that "Get me a network" is an effort
> > > to address this. But after reading docs on it, I actually have no idea
> > > how it works or how to make use of it (I do have a decent understanding
> > > of how to setup a default subnetpool as an operator).
> > >

> > I'd be happy to improve the docs, but your feedback is not very
> actionable.
> > Any chance you can elaborate on what you're struggling with?
> >

> The docs I found are all extremely Neutron-centric. I was told later
> on IRC that once the default subnet pool is setup, Nova would do some
> magic to tell neutron to allocate a subnet from that pool to the user
> when they create an instance.

> Basically, the docs I found were not at all user-centric. They were
> Neutron-centric and they didn't really explain why, as an operator, I'd
> want to allocate a subnet pool. I mean, they do, but because I don't
> really know if I have that problem or what it is, I just wasn't able
> to grasp where this was going. It tells me to go ahead and list default
> subnet pools, and then pass --nic=net-id=$ID from that. Super confusing
> and not really any more friendly than before.

If you are referring to [1], I wouldn't expect anything less, it's the
OpenStack networking guide after all.

> So what I want is the story from the user's perspective. Something like:
>
> "Without this extension, your users will need to do these steps in order
> to boot servers with networking:..."
>
> and then
>
> "With this extension, your users will not need to perform those steps,
> and the default subnet pools that you setup will be automatically
> allocated to users upon their first server boot."

Problem statement from the user's point of view is typically left to the
specs [2,3].
I am sure one can argue that the content there may not be well written or
organized, but it was enough for getting the nova and the neutron team to
have a mutual understanding and agreement on how to design, implement and
test the feature.

>From what I hear, there is a gap in the networking guide in that the
rationale behind the feature is missing. I suppose we can fill that up, and
thus I filed [4].

Thanks.

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/newton/networking-guide/config-auto-allocation.html