[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 13 23:01:24 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Armando M.'s message of 2017-01-13 11:39:33 -0800:
> On 13 January 2017 at 10:47, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-01-12 22:38:46 -0800:

> > > Fair point, probably mr/mrs iPhone app developer should be doing that.
> > >

> > I totally disagree. If PaaS was the answer, they'd all be using PaaS.
> >
> > Maybe some day, but that's no excuse for having an overly complex story
> > for the base. I totally appreciate that "Get me a network" is an effort
> > to address this. But after reading docs on it, I actually have no idea
> > how it works or how to make use of it (I do have a decent understanding
> > of how to setup a default subnetpool as an operator).
> >

> I'd be happy to improve the docs, but your feedback is not very actionable.
> Any chance you can elaborate on what you're struggling with?

The docs I found are all extremely Neutron-centric. I was told later
on IRC that once the default subnet pool is setup, Nova would do some
magic to tell neutron to allocate a subnet from that pool to the user
when they create an instance.

Basically, the docs I found were not at all user-centric. They were
Neutron-centric and they didn't really explain why, as an operator, I'd
want to allocate a subnet pool. I mean, they do, but because I don't
really know if I have that problem or what it is, I just wasn't able
to grasp where this was going. It tells me to go ahead and list default
subnet pools, and then pass --nic=net-id=$ID from that. Super confusing
and not really any more friendly than before.

So what I want is the story from the user's perspective. Something like:

"Without this extension, your users will need to do these steps in order
to boot servers with networking:..."

and then

"With this extension, your users will not need to perform those steps,
and the default subnet pools that you setup will be automatically
allocated to users upon their first server boot."