[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:46:56 UTC 2017

So I don't want to start to much of a flame-war and am really just
trying to understand things that may be beyond me (so treat me nicely, ha).

The basic question that I've been wondering revolves around the
following kind of 'thought experiment' that asks something along the
lines of:

"""
If I am a user of openstack, say I'm an iphone developer, trying to get
my 'game' and associated 'game APIs' setup in a manner that is HA (say
fronted by a load-balancer), using my custom image, secure and visible
to either an intranet or to the large internet then what is the steps I
would have to do when interacting with openstack to accomplish this and
what would the provider of openstack have to give to me as endpoints to
make this possible.
"""

One of the obvious ones is nova and glance, and the API and usage there
feels pretty straightforward as is (isn't really relevant to this
conversation anyway). The one that feels bulky and confusing (at least
for me) is the things I'd have to do in neutron to create and/or select
networks, create and/or select subnets, create and/or select ports and
so-on...

As a supposed iphone developer (dev/ops, yadayada) just trying to get
his/her game to market why would I really want to know about selecting
networks, create and/or selecting subnets, create and/or selecting ports
and so-on...

It may just be how it is, but I'd like to at least ask if others are
really happy with the interactions/steps (I guess we could/maybe we
should ask similar questions around various other projects as well?); if
I'm just an outlier that's ok, at least I asked :-P

-Josh