[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:07:10 UTC 2017

On 12 January 2017 at 14:46, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:

> So I don't want to start to much of a flame-war and am really just trying
> to understand things that may be beyond me (so treat me nicely, ha).
>
> The basic question that I've been wondering revolves around the following
> kind of 'thought experiment' that asks something along the lines of:
>
> """
> If I am a user of openstack, say I'm an iphone developer, trying to get my
> 'game' and associated 'game APIs' setup in a manner that is HA (say fronted
> by a load-balancer), using my custom image, secure and visible to either an
> intranet or to the large internet then what is the steps I would have to do
> when interacting with openstack to accomplish this and what would the
> provider of openstack have to give to me as endpoints to make this possible.
> """
>
> One of the obvious ones is nova and glance, and the API and usage there
> feels pretty straightforward as is (isn't really relevant to this
> conversation anyway). The one that feels bulky and confusing (at least for
> me) is the things I'd have to do in neutron to create and/or select
> networks, create and/or select subnets, create and/or select ports and
> so-on...

> As a supposed iphone developer (dev/ops, yadayada) just trying to get
> his/her game to market why would I really want to know about selecting
> networks, create and/or selecting subnets, create and/or selecting ports
> and so-on...
>
> It may just be how it is, but I'd like to at least ask if others are
> really happy with the interactions/steps (I guess we could/maybe we should
> ask similar questions around various other projects as well?); if I'm just
> an outlier that's ok, at least I asked :-P

Answering your question in a nutshell is very hard, but I'll try
nonetheless.

I bet that if you think really hard, complications may arise even when
dealing with images and compute resources. That's because, in the most
trivial cases you are not thinking about the services that your image must
provide (and if so you may start injecting user-data into your boot phase)
or performance requirements you may have (and if so, you may want your
hypervisors to provide certain optimizations).

IMO, the networking case is inherently complex because the network
architecture required by a non trivial application is itself complex, in
that you may need tiers of security, you need to HA, etc. In the most
trivial case where you just want a single endpoint to which you can talk
to, there's get-me-a-network [1,2]. You can fire boot a VM on of top of a
auto-provisioned network topology and off you go. To get external access
you're only left with a floating IP association, but that's only one API
call away.

Cheers,
Armando

[1]