[openstack-dev] [requirements] [Horizon][Karbor][Magnum] Requesting FFE for xstatic packages

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Feb 7 03:17:30 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 10:39:41AM +1100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Hi requirements team,
>
> We've had a downstream packager come to us with issues packaging the
> Horizon RC as described in this bug report:
>
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1662180
>
> The issues stems from the requirements file having several xstatic
> package minimum versions specified that are no longer compatible with
> Horizon, and the RDO build system honors those minimum version
> specifications, and boom!

This is a specific case of OpenStack provides poor tools for testing/validating
minimum requirements.  This is a thing we started trying to fix in Ocata but
the work is slow going :(   I'm a little confused how this wasn't caught sooner
by RDO (given they would appear to have been testing the minimums for xstatic-*)

> Rob Cresswell has proposed a patch to bump those minimum versions up
> to the versions specified in upper-constraints.txt:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/429753

That review seems to adjust all Xstatic packages where the minimu != the
constrained version which is probably more than is required but it doesn't
actually increase the knock-on effects so it seems like a good idea to me :)

Looking at the projects that are affected by Rob's review:

Package      : xstatic-angular [xstatic-angular>=1.3.7] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-angular-bootstrap [xstatic-angular-bootstrap>=0.11.0.2] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-angular-gettext [xstatic-angular-gettext>=2.1.0.2] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-bootstrap-scss [xstatic-bootstrap-scss>=3.1.1.1] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-d3 [xstatic-d3>=3.1.6.2] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-font-awesome [xstatic-font-awesome>=4.3.0] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-jasmine [xstatic-jasmine>=2.1.2.0] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-jsencrypt [xstatic-jsencrypt>=2.0.0.2] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-rickshaw [xstatic-rickshaw>=1.5.0] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-smart-table [xstatic-smart-table!=1.4.13.0,>=1.4.5.3] (used by 3 projects)
Package      : xstatic-term-js [xstatic-term-js>=0.0.4.1] (used by 3 projects)
openstack/horizon                             [tc:approved-release]
openstack/karbor-dashboard                    []
openstack/magnum-ui                           []

Package      : xstatic-bootswatch [xstatic-bootswatch>=3.3.5.3] (used by 1 projects)
openstack/horizon                             [tc:approved-release]

And obviously RDO

This will mean that Horizon will need an RC2, and any packaging/distro testing
for horizon (and plugins/dashboards) will need to be restarted (iff said
testing was done with an xstatic package not listed in upper-constraaints.txt[1])

I tried to determine the impact on magnum-ui and karbor-dashboard and AFAICT
they're already using constraints.  The next thing to look at is the release
model which is:
    magnum-ui:
     type: horizon-plugin
     model: cycle-with-intermediary
    karbor-dashboard:
     type:  unknown
     model: unknown

I think this means it's safe grant this FFE as the affected plugins aren't
necessarily in a stabilisation phase.

So as far as I can see we have 2 options:
    1. Do nothing: there will be other cases that minimums are not functional.
       RDO have tools and data to fix this in there own repos so we're not
       actually blocking them
    2. Take the patch, and accept the knock on effects.

I'm okay with taking this FFE if Karbor and Magnum PTLs sign off here (or on the review)

> Additionally to the above I will be proposing a patch to Horizon's
> documented processes to ensure that when an xstatic upper-constraints
> version is bumped we also bump the minimum version in
> global-requirements to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

Cool.  That'll help

Yours Tony.

[1] We've communicated that u-c should be the source here before