[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer][postgresql][gate][telemetry] PostgreSQL gate failure (again)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:12:30 UTC 2017

On 2/1/2017 8:07 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> So the Ceilometer gate has been broken again by Nova today because of a
> SQL bug in the placement API with PostgreSQL. This is the second time
> that something like that happened: last November¹, we also reported a
> bug in Nova wrt PostgreSQL.
>
> Fortunately, Mehdi investigated and sent a fix:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427667/
>
> So the issue is going to be resolved soon. I had hope this would not
> happen again, but it seems Nova does not care about PostgreSQL since
> August².
>
> I think I can understand that Nova does not want to support PostgreSQL
> and therefore does not use it in the gate, however, I don't think it's a
> rich idea to have other projects (e.g. Ceilometer) doing the gate check
> for Nova.
>
> My questions are simple and can be organized in a tree:
>
>            Does Nova want to support PostgreSQL?
>                  /                      \
>                Yes                      No
>                /                          \
>    Why is there no gate?         Ok, we'll have to remove the
>                                  PostgreSQL job in Ceilometer
>

> Thanks!
>

> ¹  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-November/107907.html
>
> ²  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-August/101892.html

It's not just Nova, it's the entire set of integrated-gate jobs which
dropped the postgresql job. There is a bit more history there, it's in
the ML somewhere, but it's not just like Nova decided to stop running it
in the integrated gate.

At the time it was removed, I said I thought it might be a good idea to
run it on oslo.db changes, or at least in a periodic job queue, but
since we removed it from the integrated-gate set of jobs I wouldn't just
make it gating by itself on nova again.

If it could be worked into an existing job as a wrinkle then that's an
option, i.e. nova has this placement job which was unique in newton
because it ran the optional things at the time for nova like placement
and cells v2, but those are required globally now in master so are less
special. But in Pike we're going to be looking at some new snowflakes
for that job, like cinder v3, service users, etc etc, so maybe postgres
could be worked in there.

Matt Riedemann