[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Removing old baremetal commands from python-tripleoclient

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Dec 18 18:34:04 UTC 2017

On 12/17/2017 05:55 PM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 01:04:52PM +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>> On 12/15/2017 04:49 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>       In review I01837a9daf6f119292b5a2ffc361506925423f11 I updated
>>> ValidateInstackEnv to handle the case when then instackenv.json file
>>> needs to represent a node that deosn't require a pm_user for IMPI to
>>> work.
>>>
>>> It turns out that I foudn that code path with grep rather than the
>>> result of a deploy step failing.  That's becuase it's only used for a
>>> command that isn't used anymore, and the validation logic has been moved
>>> to a mistral action.
>>>
>>> That lead me to look at which of the commands in that file aren't needed
>>> anymore.  If my analysis is correct we have the collowing commands:
>>>
>>> openstack baremetal instackenv validate:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ValidateInstackEnv
>>>       NOT Deprecated
>>
>> See below, it can be fixed. But I'd really prefer us to roll it into
>> something like "openstack overcloud node import --validate-only".
>
> I can look at that.  I suspect it'd be a trivial wrapper aroudn the
> existing code in tripleo-common
>
>>> openstack baremetal import:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ImportBaremetal
>>>       DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>>>       New command: openstack overcloud node import
>>> openstack baremetal introspection bulk start:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StartBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
>>>       DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>>>       New command: openstack overcloud node introspect
>>> openstack baremetal introspection bulk status:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StatusBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
>>>       NOT Deprecated
>>> openstack baremetal configure ready state:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureReadyState
>>>       NOT Deprecated
>>> openstack baremetal configure boot:
>>>       tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureBaremetalBoot
>>>       DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>>>       New command: openstack overcloud node configure
>>
>> YES PLEASE to all of this. The "baremetal" part make users often confuse
>> these commands with ironicclient commands.
>
> Okay so it's trivial to remove the deprecated commands but is it okay to
> just drop the commands that haven't been deprecated?

I would say no to just dropping them.  However, in the context of what
you're doing there's also no need to make them work with multi-arch.
That's assuming we deprecate them now, of course, which we should do
ASAP.  Deprecated commands should not be expected to work with new
functionality.

> I guess I'll propose a change and we can hash it out on the
>>

>>> So my questions are basically:
>>> 1) Can we remove the deprecated code?
>>> 2) Does leaving the not deprecated commands make sesne?
>>> 3) Should we deprecate the remaining commands?