[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Removing old baremetal commands from python-tripleoclient

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Sun Dec 17 23:55:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 01:04:52PM +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 12/15/2017 04:49 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >      In review I01837a9daf6f119292b5a2ffc361506925423f11 I updated
> > ValidateInstackEnv to handle the case when then instackenv.json file
> > needs to represent a node that deosn't require a pm_user for IMPI to
> > work.
> >
> > It turns out that I foudn that code path with grep rather than the
> > result of a deploy step failing.  That's becuase it's only used for a
> > command that isn't used anymore, and the validation logic has been moved
> > to a mistral action.
> >
> > That lead me to look at which of the commands in that file aren't needed
> > anymore.  If my analysis is correct we have the collowing commands:
> >
> > openstack baremetal instackenv validate:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ValidateInstackEnv
> >      NOT Deprecated
>
> See below, it can be fixed. But I'd really prefer us to roll it into
> something like "openstack overcloud node import --validate-only".

I can look at that.  I suspect it'd be a trivial wrapper aroudn the
existing code in tripleo-common

> > openstack baremetal import:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ImportBaremetal
> >      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
> >      New command: openstack overcloud node import
> > openstack baremetal introspection bulk start:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StartBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
> >      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
> >      New command: openstack overcloud node introspect
> > openstack baremetal introspection bulk status:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StatusBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
> >      NOT Deprecated
> > openstack baremetal configure ready state:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureReadyState
> >      NOT Deprecated
> > openstack baremetal configure boot:
> >      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureBaremetalBoot
> >      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
> >      New command: openstack overcloud node configure
>
> YES PLEASE to all of this. The "baremetal" part make users often confuse
> these commands with ironicclient commands.

Okay so it's trivial to remove the deprecated commands but is it okay to
just drop the commands that haven't been deprecated?

I guess I'll propose a change and we can hash it out on the

> > So my questions are basically:
> > 1) Can we remove the deprecated code?
> > 2) Does leaving the not deprecated commands make sesne?
> > 3) Should we deprecate the remaining commands?
> > 3) Do I need to update ValidateInstackEnv or is it okay for it to be
> >     busted for my use case?
>
> I'm sorry for not getting to it ever, but the fix should be quite simple.
> You need to drop all its code from tripleoclient and make it use this
> workflow instead: https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/master/workbooks/baremetal.yaml#L103.
> It is much newer, and is actually used in enrollment as well. If it is also
> broken for you - please fix it. But the code in tripleoclient is long rotten
> :)

I have a patch to fix the triple-common code also.  And I'm very happy
to focus on that :)

Yours Tony.