[openstack-dev] [python-openstacksdk] Status of python-openstacksdk project

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:55:52 UTC 2017

On 8/4/17 1:26 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:

> That's not going to work for dozens of OpenStack projects. It's just
> won't scale. Every project should maintain plugin for their project. And
> it should be enough to say "pip install python-<projectname>client" that
> extend the Core OpenStack python client and adds support of new commands.
>
> The whole core part should be only about how to make plugins interface
> in such way that it's easy to extend and provide to end user nice user
> experience from both side (shell & python) and nice and stable interface
> for client developers .

I echo Boris's point; if the client side isn't pluggable and extendable
(in a reusable fashion), then how can we build a consistent CLI for
users of our APIs that do support pluggable (potentially out-of-tree)
extensions (ex: neutron)?

It's a concern with the current trajectory of OSC/SDK and one I
mentioned on the ML last week [1].

If we're going to reevaluate this client side "plumbing", I truly hope
we take into consideration how our users are interfacing with the CLI,
which today, includes the ability to handle API resource extensions in
the classic python client, but not in OSC.

As per the bug/RFE linked in [1], I'm willing to throw some code down to
help make this happen; it's just not clear who the right team is to
queue this discussion/code up with.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-August/120613.html