[openstack-dev] [requirements][ptls] HELP! Thawing the requirements repo

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Aug 7 02:59:19 UTC 2017

Hi All,
    So as you all know we've frozen the requirements repo and it will
stay frozen until after all the cycle-with-milestones projects have
stable/pike branches.  That's pretty normal.

The last couple of cycles we've seen issues with projects that crate
stable/pike branches *after* we've thawed/re-opened requirements repo
for $next_release.

What happens is those projects are still stabilising for pike but
getting requirements updates for queens.  When they *do* branch for pike
they quickly get a proposal-bot change which seems to take things
backwards.  This bad for (at least) a couple of reasons.

1. Those projects are testing against the wrong requirements
2. You end up with a patch release for $project that radically changes
the requirements for $project.

So I need some help identifying which projects are going to fall into
this scenario.  The easy to identify ones are cycle-trailing and we can
easily cope with that by as there are only 4 of them.  My instinct tells
me that many of the neutron (stadium?) and horizon-plugin projects will
fall into this boat.

Once we know the scope of the affected projects we can work out how to
thaw the requirements repo with minimum impact.  The alternative is to
have the requirements repo frozen for > 1 month which no one wants.

Yours Tony.