[openstack-dev] Tracing (all the places)

vinhnt at vn.fujitsu.com vinhnt at vn.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 4 01:46:14 UTC 2017

Hello harlowja,

I'm really happy to see that you are back in this `tracing` topic [and @boris-42 (too)].

Last week, we saw that Rajul proposed 02 new blueprint in OSprofiler [1] and [2].
Besides, some other blueprints are being implemented in OSprofiler
such as overhead control [3] and OpenTracing compatible [4] [5]
(Uber Jaeger [6] is one of OpenTracing compatible tracer out there).

For OpenTracing part, I have a PoC to make OSprofiler compatible with
OpenTracing specification at [5]. You can take a look at it this time too.
However, this time, I focus on reporting span/trace to other destinations
(rather than current drivers for OSprofiler[7]).

OpenTracing API is changing a little bit fast for now, therefore, some APIs will be deprecated soon.
I had some discussions with OpenTracing community about some trouble when making OSprofiler
compatible with OpenTracing API.

For OpenStack part, last cycle, Performance team and other OpenStack developers added
OSprofiler support for many other projects (Nova, Magnum, Ironic, Zun ...)
and Panko, Aodh, Swift are on the way.

At last, hope you will join us (again) in OpenStack `tracing` things.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/osprofiler/+spec/asynchronous-trace-collection
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/osprofiler/+spec/tail-based-coherent-sampling
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/osprofiler/+spec/osprofiler-overhead-control
[4] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/osprofiler/+spec/opentracing-compatible