[openstack-dev] [ironic] summary of the virtual meetup

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 16:42:26 UTC 2017

Hi all!

We had a virtual meetup on Tuesday, he's a short summary.
Detailed notes are here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ironic-virtual-meetup

We went over the priorities list to figure out what changes have to be made to
accommodate the recent team changes. Four priorities found new owners: rescue
mode, python 3 support, reference guide and changing default CLI API version.
Three changes did not, and are to be dumped from the list: specific faults API,
documentation reorganization and IPA authentication. On the bright side, we
found more people to help with boot-from-volume and redfish work.

Next, Jim introduced the latest change to how Nova schedules bare metal
instances. It did raise a few questions in the community, which we agreed to
direct at the Nova team. I personally will get more involved into Ironic-Nova
interactions (as I should have done long ago), and Nisha volunteered to also
help, especially around the capabilities-aka-traits future discussion.

Then we talked about 3rdparty CI status. We got good presence from people
running CI (thanks for that!). Among the actions items were:
1. Re-establish regular ironic QA/CI meeting to create a contact point between
the developers and the CI maintainers.
2. Figure out existing practices (ask Cinder, Neutron, Nova, TripleO) on
escalating 3rdparty CI issues caused by problems outside of the CI itself and
the driver it tests.
3. More actively share best practices to run CI between CI maintainers
4. Track 3rdparty CI outages on our main whiteboard and create a new etherpad
for CI debugging coordination.
5. CI maintainers to investigate running standalone tests instead of our full
tempest test.

We discussed the future of the driver properties API, which ended up in a weird
position after dynamic drivers were introduced. Our initial plan is to create
new API endpoints:
  GET /v1/nodes/<NODE>/driver-properties
  GET /v1/driver-interfaces/power/<INTERFACE>
The former will return summary of driver information for a node, while the
latter - for a driver interface. This may not be the final endpoints - we agreed
to continue the discussion on the spec (to be written by Ruby).

Finally, we discussed speeding up reviews for vendor patches. We got feedback
that generic things that the core team plans on always get prioritized at the
expense of vendor proposals. We tried a short root cause analysis for this
issue, and discussed several proposals. We ended up with the usual
recommendation for vendors to increase involvement into reviewing code and
contributing things outside of their immediate field of interests. We also
agreed that it may help a bit to move vendor documentation out of tree.

We had a retrospective after the meetup, where most of the folks agreed that
such virtual meetups are a good idea, and we need to organize them from time to
time. It was particularly noted that the meetup allowed people who cannot afford
going to the PTG and/or the Forum to meet the team.

Thanks all for participating!