[openstack-dev] Development workflow for bunch of patches

Sławek Kapłoński slawek at kaplonski.pl
Wed Apr 19 08:11:33 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a question about how to deal with bunch of patches which depends one on another.
I did patch to neutron (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449831/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449831/>) which is not merged yet but I wanted to start also another patch which is depend on this one (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/457816/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/457816/>).
Currently I was trying to do something like:
1. git review -d <first patch id>
2. git checkout -b new_branch_for_second_patch
3. Make second patch, commit all changes
4. git review <— this will ask me if I really want to push two patches to gerrit so I answered „yes”

Everything is easy for me as long as I’m not doing more changes in first patch. How I should work with it if I let’s say want to change something in first patch and later I want to make another change to second patch? IIRC when I tried to do something like that and I made „git review” to push changes in second patch, first one was also updated (and I lost changes made for this one in another branch).
How I should work with something like that? Is there any guide about that (I couldn’t find such)?

—
Best regards
Slawek Kaplonski
slawek at kaplonski.pl