[openstack-dev] [Tacker][OSC] Command naming specs

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 16:46:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Trinath Somanchi <trinath.somanchi at nxp.com>
wrote:

> Tacker being NFVO+VNFM - an NFV component, we have taken ‘nfv’ as the
> prefix.

Note that OSC itself does not use 'command prefixes', it names resources
with enough specificity to make them unique.  Sometimes that looks like a
proefix, but it is not.

For the below commands, for readability, we have added ‘-‘ within the
> command names.
>
> Like,
>
>           network-service,  vnf-forwarding-graph, service-function-chain,
>
>     network-flow-classifier, network-forwarding-path.
>

> But the existing OSC commands don’t have a ‘-‘ in between the command
> names.

The OSC command structure specifically does not use dashes or underscores
as separators, it uses spaces.  We want commands to be words.  Dashes are
only used in option names due to option parsing rules.

Specifically in networking there are a large number of resources that are
hard to concisely name.  Plugins are of course free to do what they want
but we encourage them to use the OSC guidelines, and we know that users
_really_ appreciate staying consistent.

There are places where you may feel forced to use abbreviations ('vnf' in
your example above).  Those are discouraged, but we also recognize that
they are often the most common usage ('IP' in IP address for example) and
where that usage is common is fine.  Again, networking is an area where
many things are commonly known only by their abbreviation, and this usage
is in fact expected by users.  In the end, picking commands that are what
users would expect to search for is what they appreciate the most.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com