[openstack-dev] [horizon][nova][tc] nova-network deprecation in horizon

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:19:38 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 9:19 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (question not directly related to this topic)
>> I am not sure there is a case where users still use API 2.36 for
>> network management
>> and newer API versions for other compute operation.
>
> This is probably true for Horizon, where the app install likely
> matches the cloud it is configured to use.  However, many other use
> cases for the Python libraries are meant to talk to multiple versions
> of clouds and the 8.0 release of novaclient causes problems there.
>
> Even after nova-net support is EOL officially OSC plans to support the
> use of nova-net for some time.  We are re-implementing the removed
> functionality locally.  And anticipating some of the questions why,
> consider an operator working on the long migration/upgrade from a
> deployed nova-net cloud to a Neutron cloud, and needing to keep at
> least one foot in both worlds.  There are other similar uses.
>
> dt

As noted in my reply to Akihiro, the CLIs/APIs were deprecated in
novaclient back in Newton in the 6.0.0 release of python-novaclient. We
left them through Ocata and dropped them here in Pike in 8.0.0.

How long are we expected to be carrying this deprecated bridge code? If
you need these CLIs/API bindings in the client, then don't upgrade to
8.0.0, or run different versions of novaclient in venvs or containers if
you need to really workaround this.

I feel like the signaling on all of this was pretty clear back in
Newton. What else are people expecting or that we missed? I don't really
see why python-openstackclient needs to start adding this API binding
code back in locally, that's just extending the lifespan of this busted
code that we're really trying to make uncomfortable for people to be
using because like it or not, nova-network is going away. We did the
fallback thing in the CLI in newton as a way to soften that blow for CLI
users, but really at some point this just needs to be broken and people
either stay on old tools or upgrade to what is supported.

Matt