[openstack-dev] [election] [tc] TC Candidacy

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Fri Apr 7 22:41:14 UTC 2017

I am announcing my candidacy [1] for a seat on the OpenStack Technical Committee. I've had the honor of working on and with OpenStack since it was conceived. Since our first Design Summit on July 13-16 2010, I have been thrilled to be a part of our movement together. We have come a long way since then, from a hopeful open source project with our friends at Rackspace and NASA to a thriving global community that has set the definitive standard for cloud software.

Over the past seven years, I have viewed OpenStack as my primary pursuit. I love our community, and the way we embrace the “four opens”. Along this journey, I have done my very best to push the limits of our innovative spirit, and pursue new and exciting ways of using software defined systems to make possible what we could have only imagined when we started. I have served our community as an innovator and as a PTL for the good part of the past 5 years. I served as the founding PTL of OpenStack Solum, and pivoted to become the founding PTL of OpenStack Magnum. I currently serve in this role today. Each of these project pursuits were aimed at making OpenStack technology more easily automated, more efficient, and combining it with cutting edge new technologies.

I am now ready to embark on a wider mission. I’m prepared to transition leadership of Magnum to my esteemed team members, and pursue a role with the OpenStack TC to have an even more profound impact on our future success. I have a unique perspective on OpenStack governance, by repeatedly using our various processes and applying our rules, guidelines, and values as they have evolved to I deeply respect the OpenStack community, our TC, and their respective membership. I look forward to serving in an expanded role, and helping to make OpenStack even better than it is today.

I will support efforts to:

1) Make OpenStack a leading platform for running the next generation of cloud native applications. This means making sensible and secure ways of allowing our data plane and control plane systems to integrate. For example, OpenStack should be just as good at running container workloads as it is for running bare metal and virtualized ones. Our applications should be able to self heal, scale, and dynamically interact with our clouds in a way that’s
safe and effective.

2) Expand our support for languages beyond Python. Over the past year, our TC has taken productive steps in this direction, and I would like to further advance this work so that we can introduce software written in other languages, such as Golang, in a way that’s supportable and appropriate for our community’s growing needs.

3) Advocate for inclusivity and diversity, not only for software languages but for contributors from all corners of the Earth. I feel it’s important to consider perspectives from various geographies, cultures, and of course from each gender. I want to maintain a welcoming destination where both novice and veteran contributors will thrive.

4) Continue our current work on our “One Platform” pursuit, and help to refine which of our teams should remain in openstack, and which should not. I will also work to contribute to documenting our culture and systems and clearly defining “how we work”. For an example of this, see how we recently did this within the Magnum team [2]. We can borrow from these ideas and re-use the ones that are generally useful. This reference should give you a sense of what we can accomplish together.

I respectfully ask for your vote and support to pursue this next ambition, and I look forward to the honor of serving you well.

Thanks,

Adrian Otto

[1] https://review.openstack.org/454908
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/developer/magnum/policies.html