[openstack-dev] [election][tc] TC candidacy

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Apr 7 17:23:29 UTC 2017

Hello! I am once again announcing my candidacy for a position on the OpenStack Technical Committee.

For those who do not know me, I'm easy to find. My name is Ed Leafe; I'm 'edleafe' on IRC, and @edleafe on Twitter. I have been involved with OpenStack since the very beginning, when I was working for Rackspace as a core member of the Nova team. An internal job change took me away from active development after Essex, but since being hired by IBM, I've been back in the OpenStack universe since Kilo. As a result of this long involvement, I have always had a strong interest in helping to shape the direction of OpenStack, and if there is one thing people will agree about me, is that I'm never shy about voicing my opinion, whether the majority agree with me or not (they usually don't!). I now spend most of my time working on Nova and the new Placement service. I also spend a good deal of time arguing over obscure HTTP issues with the API Working Group, and sometimes blog about them [0].

You'd think that with this long involvement, I'd be happy to see OpenStack continue on the course it's been on, and for the most part, you'd be right. What we've gotten right is the way we work together, focusing on community over corporate interests - that is essential for any project like OpenStack. What we really could improve, though, is how we focus our efforts, and how we set ourselves up for the future.

The Big Tent change was important for making this feel like an inclusive community, and for allowing for some competition among differing approaches. Where I think it's been problematic is that while the notion that "we're all OpenStack" is wonderful, this egalitarian approach has made it somewhat confusing, not only to the outside markets, but to the way we govern ourselves. I think that it's important to recognize that OpenStack can be divided into two parts: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), and everything else. Monty Taylor first outlined this split back in 2014 [1], and while there is still some room to debate which projects fall into which group, I think it's a more important distinction than ever. The "Layer 1" projects have a strong dependency on each other, and need to have a common way of doing things. But for all the other projects that build on top of this core, that sort of conformity is not critical. In fact, it can be a hindrance. So I believe that different technical rules should apply to these two groups.

The recent discussions on the approval of Golang and other languages into the OpenStack ecosystem [2] highlighted the need for this division. For the core IaaS projects, there should be a very, very high bar for using !Python. But for the others, I'd prefer to let them make their own choices. If they choose a language that is difficult to deploy and maintain, or that doesn't create logs like the rest of OpenStack, it's going to wither and die unless the benefits it brings is great enough to make that increased burden.

To my mind, this is the only way to make OpenStack better: focus on making the IaaS core as rock-solid and dependable as possible, but then open things up for experimentation everywhere else. As long as a project follows the Four Opens [3], let them make the decisions on the trade-offs. As an API wonk, that's what the benefit of consistent APIs offers: the ability of any app to interact, not just those written in the same language.

This ties in with my other main concern: the narrowing-but-still-wide separation between OpenStack developers and operators. We've made a lot of progress over the last few cycles, but we still need to get a lot better. In my former life in the construction industry, there were always architects who designed very interesting things, but which were a complete pain to build. Inevitably this was the result of the architect having little practical experience in the field getting their hands dirty building things. Many of the comments I've heard from OpenStack operators have a similar aspect to them. I know that I have never run a large cloud, so when an operator tells me about an issue, I listen. I'd like to see the TC continue to encourage more opportunities for OpenStack developers to be able to listen and work with OpenStack operators.

So if you're still reading up to this point, perhaps you might want to consider voting for me for the TC. But either way, please ask questions of the candidates. That's the only way to know that the people you choose share your concerns, and that will help to ensure that the TC represents your interests.

[0] https://blog.leafe.com
[1] http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-as-layers-but-also-a-big-tent-but-also-a-bunch-of-cats/
[2] https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/new-language-requirements.rst
[3] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html