[openstack-dev] [kolla][fuel][tripleo] Reference architecture to deploy OpenStack on k8s

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Sep 23 17:04:53 UTC 2016

Bogdan,

I recognize English isn’t your first language, so forgive me if I have mis-parsed your message.  I think the question you are asking is “Can we have cooperation to standardize on how best to do OpenStack on Kubernetes”.  We tried an analog of that with Mirantis around Mesos, and that resulted in many derived works, one of which was fuel-ccp.  Fuel has made it abundantly clear they intend to compete with Kolla, which is fine.  I recognize we are one community and need to put OpenStack first here, and project teams second, but I also fail to see how training the Fuel team with the choices Kolla has made in implementation puts OpenStack first.

Standard organizational best practice with competitive teams in any organization is either to stamp out the competition or let them compete independently to grow the pie for everyone. The activity you propose would not put OpenStack first because of this organizational best practice.

Our code base is completely open.  Our irc channels are completely open.  Our mailing list participation is completely open.  Our architecture discussions are completely open.  Our project is OPEN.  If you really want to participate in Kolla the door remains open.  I find it hard to see a way for that to happen given the history and Mirantis’s stated intent, but anything is possible if the right people change their minds.

Regards
-steve